Margareten, Viennas 5th district is a residential area through and through. Originally the western strip of the Wieden district, Margareten was made a district in 1861 and forged into a tough working-class borough during the industrial revolution and between the wars with the construction of giant Gemeindebauten (communal blocks). Largely destroyed during world war two then rebuilt in the aftermath, it is now home to Viennas burgeoning middle classes, and there are a number of industrial estates. There is a large Flohmarkt (flea market) next to the Wienzeile every Saturday that stretches into neighbouring Mariahilf. Margareten is sandwiched in between Meidling to the west and Weiden to the east, and is served by the U4 underground line, as well as numerous buses and the Badner Bahn light railway.
View on Map