Here is a list of the most important and qualified International schools in Barcelona, Spain.A parent’s biggest concern is the health and wellbeing of their children, after that education. It gets harder for a parent who is relocating to a place with a whole new environment, culture, or language. Balancing between work and other responsibilities, parents are forced to trust references on the best international schools to take their children.
References are great but carry the biases of the conveyor, thus an independent yet objective review of the top international schools in Barcelona worth a try.
1. Benjamin Franklin International SchoolBFIS offers the American curriculum and IB diploma. The school boasts a rich diversity spanning 50 different nationalities - a replication of the larger Barcelona community. Instruction at BFIS is in English with other languages in Catalan, French, and Spanish. BFIS is accessible by public transport and rests in the lush Sarrià-Sant Gervasi neighborhood. At BFIS students can access all-rounded opportunities from assemblies, field trips, festivals, clubs, cultural trips, and much more.
2. Santa Clara International SchoolThe Santa Clara International school boasts an incredible history spanning over half a decade as a top learning institution. Admired for the personalized education (due to the small class size ratio of 1:10) SCIS follows the Spanish International curriculum. The multilingual school has rich diversity credentials where 50% are from Barcelonas and the remaining half are from other parts of the world. The teachers are native and address their students in the language they speak. Extracurricular activities are music, athletics, languages, chess, etc.
3. Peter's School, BarcelonaA private international school offering quality learning from 12 months to 18 years. St. Peter gives a comprehensive academic experience aimed at getting their students to the most prestigious universities internationally while instilling values of respect, character, and uniqueness. The school structure covers First Steps, Lower School, Upper School, and IB Diploma. Lessons are conducted in English while enabling students to expand their linguistic skills at all stages.
4. Ecole Ferdinand de Lesseps – AnnexeFerdinand de Lesseps is an international private school offering the French curriculum to students aged 3 to 18 years. Founded in 1859, the school holds the title of the oldest French school in the Iberian peninsula. Schooling at the Ferdinand-de-Lesseps takes place in two sites: the annex of Carrer València and Grande École of Gran Via.
The annex of Carrer has four nursery classes. The latter has the main building and the middle section to CM2 classes. Children at the annex participate in activities such as music or Tai chi.
Extracurricular activities at the Gran Via are optional and include sporting activities such as dance, Tai-Chi at the Karate Club Acció Sant Martí, fencing at the Montjuic Arms Hall, Karate at the Associació Cívica Cultura I Oci St. Martí, basketball, cultural and scientific activities, etc.
5. American School of BarcelonaThe American School of Barcelona empowers students from pre-school to 12th grade. As a leading European school ASB is accredited by the International Baccalaureate Organization and Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools.
It also belongs to the MAIS and ECIS regional associations which ensure quality education standards are upheld. School divisions comprise Early childhood, Elementary, Middle, and High school. Students can participate in activities such as performing arts, visual arts, athletics, basketball, cheerleading, football, cross country, volleyball, and soccer.
ASB has a vibrant community service programmes that develop their character and skills, for instance, ES Rotakids began a book donation drives in Africa.
6. George's British SchoolLocated in the upper Barcelona area, St. George is a private British school that teaches students from the age of 2. It’s classrooms integrate students from 45 different nationalities where English is taught by native teachers.
St. George’s runs on the British National Curriculum while maximizing on the local culture and rich surroundings. Students complete their studies with compulsory subjects such as Spanish or Catalan. The school boasts state of the art facilities like art, music, library and computer rooms.