Viennas beautiful state opera house in Ring Avenue has celebrated the 50th anniversary of its official reopening after world war two, when it was flattened by Allied bombing. Placido Domingo, Bryn Terfel, Zubin Mehta and Christian Thielemann all took part in the celebration. The audience was treated to excerpts from Beethovens "Fidelio", Mozart's "Don Giovanni"; Strausss "Der Rosenkavalier" and "Die Frau ohne Schatten"; and Wagner's "Die Meistersinger von Nuernberg". The opera house reopened on 5 November 1955, just after the Allied troops brought an end to their ten-year occupation of the city.