5 April - 28 June 2009. The Martin-Gropius-Bau presents an exhibition by photographer Liselotte Grschebina of 100 photographs taken in Germany and Palestine between 1929 and the 1940s. Born in 1908 in Germany of Jewish parents, Liselotte Grschebina fled to Palestine in 1934 where she was to remain for the rest of her life. While in the Weimar republic her photographic work had been inspired by the New Sobriety movement, with its emphasis on simplicity and clarity; she further developed this style in Palestine. Liselotte's photographs were only discovered after she died in 1994. Her entire collection, comprising 1,400 photographs, many in disarray, were donated to the photography department of the Israel Museum, Jerusalem in 2000.
Opened in 1881 the Martin-Gropius-Bau building was severely damaged in 1945 during the last weeks of World War II but since its meticulous restoration in the 1970s has become one of the premier exhibition halls in Germany.