The final stone has been laid on the new US embassy on Pariser Platz, the site of Americas pre-war mission in Berlin from 1939-41. The topping-out ceremony, presided over by Berlins recently re-elected mayor Klaus Wowereit and US ambassador William Timken, also marked the end of years of wrangling over security measures for the new embassy, which has a 25-m security zone separating the building from the street. Built at a cost of 180 million, the new embassy is just three blocks away from the USs current diplomatic headquarters off the Unter den Linden boulevard. Diplomats are expected to move into their new offices in 2008.