The historic Admiralspalast theatre on the Friedrichstrasse in former East Berlin is to reopen this August after nine years with Berthold Brechts classic Threepenny Opera directed by Austrian actor Klaus Maria Brandauer. Originally built as a bathhouse in 1873, the theatre has also been used as an ice-skating rink, a casino, a music hall and a cinema. It has been boarded up since 1997. Businessman Falk Walter paid the city council 1 million for the Admiralspalast and has spent a further 13 million restoring the theatre to its original Art Nouveau splendour.