The Museo del Prado first opened its doors to the public as Spain's museum of paintings and sculpture on 19 November 1819.
However until then it had been home to the country's natural history collection, ever since Charles III commissioned architect Juan de Villanueva to design the neo-classical building in 1785.
To celebrate the 194th anniversary of the art museum’s founding, and coinciding with the 200th anniversary of the death of Villanueva, the Prado returns to its little-known original function thanks to an installation by Miguel Ángel Blanco.
The Madrid artist places 22 pieces from other Spanish natural history collections in spaces around the museum, creating dialogue between art, nature and history.
View on Map
Natural Histories: A Project by Miguel Ángel Blanco
Prado Museum, P. del Prado, tel. +34913302800