20 May-14 Sept 2008. The Belvedere dedicates this extensive retrospective to works by artists of Fantastic Realism, an Austrian movement of the late 1940s. On display are the major works by six masters, Arik Brauer, Ernst Fuchs, Rudolf Hausner, Wolfgang Hutter, Helmut Leherb and Anton Lehmden. In 1946 this group of artists and students of Professor Albert Paris Guetersloh at the Vienna Academy of Fine Arts, founded the Vienna School of Fantastic Realism, which became one of the most successfully exported brands of modern Austrian art. Their paintings, which reproduced fantastic motifs from mythology and the world of dreams, were characterized by religious and esoteric symbolism and had a deep grounding in realism, expressed with clarity and detail, which made them recall the early Flemish painting.
View on Map
Osterreichische Galerie Belvedere. Upper Belvedere, Prinz Eugen-Str. 27, Vienna, tel. 0043-1-795570. Mon-Sun 10.00-18.00.