18 January - 23 July. The latest temporary exhibition at the Hunterian museum displays specimens of extinct animals from its own collection alongside images of currently endangered animals.
On show are the remains of prehistoric giants such as the Woolly Mammoth and the Megalodon shark, as well as more recently extinct creatures like the Quagga, a type of zebra, and the Tasmanian tiger, both of which are believed to have died out within the last 120 years, although alleged sightings of the tiger are reported every year.
The exhibition highlights the plight of critically endangered species and raises questions about human interaction with the natural world. The British government purchased the original collection from John Hunter in 1799 and appointed The Royal College of Surgeons as its custodian. On the night of 10 May 1941 the museum was significantly damaged by German bombs, with two rooms and their contents completely destroyed. It was subsequently rebuilt and in 1963 reopened to the public.