The first stage of a new glass and steel bridge now links the main site of Pembroke College – one of Oxford University’s oldest colleges – to its expansion project on the other side of Brewer Street.
The bridge, designed by architects Berman Guedes Stratton, is in a conservation area of the city and is the first to be built over an Oxford street since the Bridge of Sighs (Hertford Bridge) was built in 1914 over New College Lane to link two parts of Hertford College.
The bridge crosses from Pembroke College gardens to five new buildings on the other side of Brewer Street set around a traditional Oxford University quadrangle.
The new site provides 100 more student bedrooms, seminar rooms, a café, an auditorium and an art gallery. It will open to students in for the new academic year in October 2012.