O'Connell Street's Carlton Cinema site is to be developed as 'Dublin Central' with planning permission granted for a new pedestrian access route designed to open up the city centre. Beginning on Upper O'Connell Street, the route will pass through the new development and connect to Moore Street via a covered walkway. Developers have secured UK department store John Lewis as its anchor tenant.
The 2.7 hectare area, which has been predominantly derelict since 1979, encompasses most of a block of Upper O'Connell Street as well as large parts of Henry Street, Moore Street, O'Rahilly Parade and Parnell Street. The site is of notable historic importance, as it contains Number 16 Moore Street, where the leaders of the 1916 rebellion held their first council of war as members of the Provisional Irish government.
Being located at the centre of the capital's main thoroughfare, the development has attracted considerable public interest, and presents O'Connell street with the chance for much-needed architectural improvement.